Monday, November 8, 2010

Smith Westerns -- "Weekend"

This is often a very stressful time of the year for music bloggers. It's a time where you keep asking yourself, "What did I miss? What albums did I not get? What should be in my end of the year list?" I am one of these people, but I think people who focus too much on this often miss a lot of great singles that get thrown around for albums that are releasing early next year. For example, last year "Ambling Alp," the first single off of Yeasayer's Odd Blood, was released this same week last November and I totally missed it and didn't discover it until a week or so before Odd Blood dropped. This year, I am doing my best to stay on top of singles that are just now being released for albums next year.

The best of new singles that I have heard so far for albums dropping in 2011 comes from Smith Westerns, an up-and-coming Chicago band. Dye It Blonde, the band's second album, is set to release on January 18th. "Weekend" was recently released as the first single from the album and man is it awesome. This song is a pretty clear example of what to expect from Smith Westerns: glam/punk. This is certainly going to make Pitchfork's top songs of the year. I don't know why, but I just have that vibe that Pitchfork has a hard on for these guys... As well as I do. Give this a listen.

- Greg

Smith Westerns - Weekend by forcefieldpr

2 comments:

  1. Gotta disagree about Ambling Alp....Good album but that song? I dunno...
    http://mrshuffleupagus.blogspot.com/2010/10/because-we-all-have-limited-gigbytes.html

    This new stuff sounds really good. Nice pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least we can both agree that Odd Blood is great. I enjoyed your blog. Really good picks and writing. I appreciate the comment. Thanks for reading!

    - Greg

    ReplyDelete