Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sharon Van Etten -- "Don't Do It"

I was first introduced to Sharon Van Etten while listening to The Antler's Hospice (my third favorite record of 2009). She appeared on what is one of the strangest songs on the album, "Thirteen," with these unbelievably desperate vocals. It was honestly like the first time I heard Janis Joplin or Joni Mitchell. I was in total awe.

Etten is now on her own most recently releasing her second album, Epic. Like the title implies, the album truly is EPIC. Despite its mere seven tracks, the album is full of a wide rang of emotions: from empowerment, to  despondence, to even optimism. I love every song on this album, but "Don't Do It" is certainly my favorite. Perhaps this is because "Don't Do It" is where I hear all the emotions of songs previous and after it coming together as one. It is easily one of the most engaging songs I have heard all year. I suggest you not only give this song a listen, but I also suggest you listen to all of Epic. After listening to Epic multiple times, I can assure you that Sharon Van Etten will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. Listen to this and I think you will soon agree.

- Greg

Don't Do It - Sharon Van Etten by The Wounded Jukebox

No comments:

Post a Comment