Tuesday, November 2, 2010

RECOMMENDED: Sun City Girls :: Funeral Mariachi

Sun City Girls is an experimental rock band formed in Phoenix back in the late 70s. I really don't know how to describe this band. They pretty much sound like everything, but, to make life easier, I will just say that on their newest album, Funeral Mariachi, there is an influence of Arabian, African, and "Western" music. Yeah, whatever that means.

I gave this album a listen today while walking around campus and I haven't felt this to myself and placid in a long time.The music of Funeral Mariachi is quite abstruse, but not necessarily in it's musicality. There is not much mystery of what is going on in the production of the music, but rather a mystery in the tone of the music. It really is one of the most perplexing, but yet gorgeous albums I have heard all year. The song below is easily the most beautiful song on the album, "Vine Street Piano." I am not sure if this is an album for everyone, but it is certainly worth giving a listen.

-- Greg

Sun City Girls – Vine Street Piano by paulheintz 

No comments:

Post a Comment