Monday, February 15, 2010

Morning Benders - "Excuses"


I was like a fat kid in a candy store when I first read Stereogum’s anticipated albums for 2010. There are many things that I am looking forward to this year. With anticipated new releases by The Avalanches, The Strokes, and Radiohead, this year seems quite promising. There is no question that the heavy hitters of the music industry are going to produce some serious projects this year, but what I like most about music is when I hear a brand new band’s album for the first time. I have no expectations when I start to listen to a new album; I simply just listen.


The Morning Benders is an emerging San Francisco group that merges retro, a.m. pop with Phil Spector-like production reminiscent of early 70s British R&B. The video I found of them is awe-inspiring. The song in the video is called "Excuses" and it might just be one of the greatest songs of year. Singer Chris Chu recruits at least 20 of his closest musician friends to pay homage to Phil Spector's Wall of Sound theory. Mike introduced me to the video telling me, “Dude, you gotta listen to this.” Next thing you know I listened to it 10 times over and over again. I am really looking forward to Big Echo, the band’s debut album, on March 9th.

- Greg

The Morning Benders - "Excuses"

No comments:

Post a Comment