Monday, February 15, 2010

Vampire Weekend - Contra

In 2008, three standout bands were brought to the limelight: Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, and most notably, Vampire Weekend. All three of these band’s debut records I put in my top 10 albums of 2008, but without a doubt, I saw Vampire Weekend as the band that could have the most significant impact on music in the future. They created this remarkable mix of Paul Simon’s classic Afro-pop sensation Graceland with preppy, upbeat pop music. I really treasured Vampire Weekend’s debut album. However, I will say out front that I was very disappointed with the new album. If Yeasayer, who also recently released a sophomore album after a critically acclaimed debut (check out Mike’s review below), threw caution to the wind with Odd Blood, Vampire Weekend threw one of their testicles to the wind with Contra.

I will start with the good. For one, the album is spectacularly produced. It’s certainly the most well produced album that I have heard this year. Two, the second half of the album is just out of this world. This is why I said that they threw only one of their testicles to the wind. From the spaztastic (I know it’s not a word, I don’t care) drumming of Chris Tomson on “Cousins” to the uncharacteristic, melancholy vocals of Ezra Koenig on “I think Ur a Contra,” the last four songs on Contra are everything I wanted to hear on the new Vampire Weekend album.

Now I will move to the bad. Okay, the first six songs are lyrically pathetic. I mean give me a break, who the f*** rhymes horchata and balaclava or horchata with orxata? Really? Seriously? You really just rhymed horchata with orxata? “Horchata or orxata is the name for several kinds of traditional beverages, made of ground almonds, sesame seeds, rice, barley, or tigernuts,” according to Wikipedia. Yeah, I know what you’re thinking. THERE THE SAME THING! Another example of the superb lyrics in Vampire Weekend’s Contra: “Funny how the other private schools had no Hapa Club.” I’m sorry, what the f*** is a Hapa club? Like, I get the concept of boarding school. At one point I thought it was pretty cool, but I am getting sick of Vampire Weekend songs that have to reference boarding school. Write about something else PLEASE!

Sorry that I have to whip out some of my music snobbishness but Contra has no real thematic direction. Vampire Weekend’s self-titled debut had a beginning, middle, and an end and there was a driving theme throughout the whole record. I felt and understood the sound that was created on Vampire Weekend and I really loved this “x factor.” The sound on nearly every song on the record was unique and fresh to the music world. I don’t get this “x factor” on most of Contra. I get this factor on the second half, but not the first. The second “Cousins” comes on through your speakers after hearing the first six songs; you are going to be very confused. It took me right off guard in a bad way. This is not to say that "Cousins" is a bad song, but rather that I did not enjoy that Contra went from the Vampire Weekend of "old" to Vampire Weekend of "new" out of nowhere. It just doesn't make much sense for an album to do that. Either write an album that sounds like the first record (the first half) or step up an writing something interesting (the second half). Pick something! Don't just fence sit. 

After listening to Contra, I really do not know what to think of Vampire Weekend. In one of the more recent Rolling Stone magazines there was an article taking a look inside the lives of two members of Vampire Weekend (Koenig and Rostam Batmanglij). While reading, I was really split with my opinions of the band. In some regard I saw a good group of guys. For example, Rostam Batmanglij, came off as genuine, sweet, guy who has recently struggled publically admitting that he was gay. Then, while reading about Ezra, I was really turned off. The guy is just such a tool. For example, while discussing the concept that Vampire Weekend writes only about “old money, old politics, old-guard high society,” Koenig says, “to me it’s really obvious that we’re using satire and irony.” Really? Because no one is buying it dude. He previously said, “My parents never had a lot of money.” Ok, c’mon man. You lived in Glen Ridge and went to Columbia. I can understand if your parents weren’t making $250,000 a year, but don’t tell me your parent never had a lot of money when you clearly had the money to have a fascination with Polo and you went to f***ing Columbia. It seems as if Koenig is trying to make the world view him as just a regular guy, when he really is not at all. I don’t know what to think of this band any longer and I really don’t want to spend any more time devoting my site to their pockets.

Rating: 73/100

-Greg


Vampire Weekend - "Cousins"

No comments:

Post a Comment