Thursday, February 18, 2010

Local Natives – Gorilla Manor


Some bands are defined by a singer; others by a guitar player, while others are defined by a distinct sound. Local Natives, a new band out of LA, combine sweet harmonies, whipping percussive parts, and vivacious chants to create Gorilla Manor. The name of the record comes from the place in which they recorded it, a place that denotes this idea of our ancestor’s domiciles, but yet something far more sophisticated than just some caveman’s dwelling (sorry if the Geico guys are reading this). The title of the record is the perfect name for the sound that you hear on the album. Gorilla Manor is tribal, but yet urbane.

The album begins with the primitive thud and dissonant guitar of “Wide Eyes.” It immediately conjured up thoughts of The Dodos and Fleet Foxes, but what surprised me was that it did not continue on this route, which I certainly would have enjoyed. It goes on to the rather pop sensible piano of “Airplanes,” which sounds rather similar to the most recent Avett Brothers record, I and Love and You. Unlike what many critics argue, the album never sticks to one exact band's sound. 

I really do not enjoy comparing bands to other bands, but yet it is hard to escape this notion with Local Natives. Every review I have read of Gorilla Manor has connected them to some other band. However, what I like most about this album is that Local Natives have this ability to stick themselves between all these bands that get thrown around. 

I feel that the best examples of where one can see the band work as a mop soaking up these ridiculous, dirty, comparisons is on “Warning Sign.” It was actually quite hard picking out what song specifically pinpoints this idea of an amalgamation of different bands involved on the album because you could honestly throw a dart and pick any song off the album. Gorilla Manor is very unique in that, like the album title, has this ability to be ancestral, but also just exceedingly polished in the song writing and the instruments being displayed on the record.

I will admit that it gave me a couple tries for me to really like this album. Perhaps this is because of all these assumptions placed in my mind by music reviewers who constantly compared Local Natives to other bands. However, when I took out these preconceived notions of the way I thought the Gorilla Manor should have sounded, I really started to like it… a lot.

Rating: 84/100

- Greg

1 comment:

  1. i love these guys-can't wait to see them at lollapallooza. i agree, i've read people who have compared them to arcade fire, vampire weekend, and a bunch of other bands that sound nothing like them. though, it is hard to not think of the fleet foxes when you hear the vocal harmonies.

    ReplyDelete