Friday, February 12, 2010

Elliott Smith - "Say Yes"


Because Valentine's Day is on Sunday I figure we post some of our favorite romantic songs this weekend. For those who do not know of Elliott Smith I am sorry because his music is just breathtaking. He may be one of the most important songwriters of all time. The song I posted is the last song off of Either/Or. People have argued numerous meanings behind the lyrics to this song. I have heard it’s about drug addiction, alcoholism, and obviously just a love song, but what I found most interesting was Smith's explanation for the lyrics. In an interview he explained, "the song was to be for someone who didn't make it, but now they think they can." When I read this while listening to the song I nearly cried because, for those who don't know, Elliott Smith tragically died in October of 2003. The death was believed to be a suicide, but no one is 100% sure. 

I don't know if you can call it a romantic song, but it has always seemed that way to me. The video below is Smith performing the song live for the last time before he died.

- Greg



1 comment: