Friday, February 17, 2012

Punch Brothers -- "Movement and Location"

Chris Thile, vocalist and mandolinist for Punch Brothers, has really caught my eye in the last few months. First, for brilliant performances on The Colbert Report and NPR's Tiny Desk Concert, in which he performed with Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, and Stuart Duncan (a quartet that goes by The Goat Rodeo Sessions). More recently, Thile has put out his third record with Punch Brothers, an almost Americanized Mumford & Sons. I don't want to compare these bands, but the instrumentation is very similar. However, this band, I feel, blows away Mumford's little children. This song, "Movement and Location," kicks off Punch Brothers' newest album, Who's Feeling Young Now?. It is absolutely hypnotic. While there are certainly songs on the album that I think are catchier, this song really grabbed me from the get-go. It actually gives me goosebumps. I totally suggest giving this a listen and checking the rest of the album out. It's my early favorite for top album of the year      ... I am a nerd...


Punch Brothers -- "Movement and Location"

No comments:

Post a Comment