Wednesday, January 19, 2011

REVISITED: Fishbone -- "Pary at Ground Zero"

The frantic ska/punk of LA's Fishbone was first introduced to me at a pretty young age. I can still remember the first time I heard the band's first big album, Truth and Soul. It's the kind of record I can hear countless amounts of time but can never get tired of. It's an album every punk fan, scratch that... everyone should hear NOW! Recently I had a big hankering to hear more of their records, so I got a copy of their first EP, Fishbone, which was released in 1985. It's not as brilliant as 1988's Truth and Soul, but the EP introduced me to what might be my favorite "older" song of recent memory. "Party at Ground Zero" is, to me at least, the perfect Fishbone song. It's got the raw, gritty attitude that I have always loved from Fishbone, but yet it is also amazingly clean and gleaming in musicality. This is the quintessential jumping off point to get into the music of Fishbone. Give it a listen.

Fishbone -- "Party at Ground Zero"

-- Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment