Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dirty Projectors -- "Gun Has No Trigger"

Dirty Projectors, a wacky Brooklyn collective led by Dave Longstreth, have been one of my favorite bands for a few years now for many reasons. For one, the musicality is amazing. Secondly, they write great lyrics. Lastly, and most importantly, they look and create music in a completely new way to me. There is something about this band that is just so captivating and beautiful to me. They are certainly not a band that are an easy first listen, but I would highly suggest their 2009 release, Bitte Orca, which is a classic in my eyes. This newest single from their forthcoming album, Swing Low Magellan, might be my song of the year thus far. Again, it epitomizes exactly why I love this band. The lyrical imagery is just beautiful, the musicality and singing is out of this world, and lastly I haven't heard something like this maybe ever (well not since Bitte Orca). Based on this first single, "Gun Has No Trigger," I am picking Swing Low Magellen for my album of the year.... yeah, I know... it's a little preemptive, but HEY! a guy could dream you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment